Slow Cooker Comfort Pot Soup

Today as we wait for Hurricane Sandy to pass the weather is cooler, windy, and rainy. What a perfect day for Slow Cooker Comfort Pot Soup!


I'm not sure why this is called Comfort Soup as its really just a wonderful vegetable beef soup. I guess all soup could be considered comfort food however. A nice pot of soup just has a homey feel, all warm and cozy. Anytime we are waiting out a hurricane (we live on the east coast of NC), I try to have something warm and comforting cooking.

I also love anything cooked in a slow cooker because I like to get it started and then not have to mess with it all day.

I do have a couple of recommendations for this recipe. Instead of buying four bags of frozen veggies I would just buy the frozen mixed vegetables that has green beans, carrots, corn, and peas. The carrots will be smaller pieces but should work just fine.  Today I just made it the way the original recipe is written. I also chopped 1/2 of a small onion and added to the mix. Most of you won't need extra salt but I also added salt and pepper.

Serve with some hot crusty bread or a grilled cheese sandwich!

What I did...

Assemble your ingredients.








Brown the beef




Mix everything together in the slow cooker. Note, the recipe says to use a cooking spray but I just coated the inside of the pot with butter.




You will need:

  • 8 ounces lean ground beef (can used turkey)
  • 3 cups tomato juice (you can use reduced sodium)
  • 1 3/4cups (one 15 ounce can) Beef Broth
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen cut green beans
  • 1 cup frozen sliced carrots
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
  • 2 cups diced raw potatoes
  • 1/2 cup (one 2.5 ounce jar) sliced mushrooms, drained
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning


What you do:

In a large skillet sprayed with olive oil flavored cooking spray brown meat. Spray a slow cooker container with olive oil flavored cooking spray. In prepared container, place browned meat. Add tomato juice, beef broth, green beans, carrots, peas, corn, potatoes, mushrooms, and Italian seasoning. Mix well to combine. Cover and cook on MEDIUM for 8 hours. Mix well before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment