How To Make An Outdated Fireplace Insert Look Great With High Heat Paint


Do you remember when these things were in front of almost every fireplace? I had been wanting to replace mine for years but every time I find something I liked it was just too expensive. Finally, I decided I just had to do something. I mean it couldn't turn out any worse, right?


After some searching, I found many had painted their old brass inserts with one of the specialty paints from Rustoleum. It's called High Heat and comes in spray and brush on. I decided to go with the brush on because I didn't want to take it down. After all, I wasn't even sure it would work.

Old brass finish
I went to Rustoleum's web page to see how they recommended applying it. They didn't recommend a primer but did say if the surface was shiny it should be sanded a bit to give it some bite (to help the paint stick). So off I went to the local hardware store to buy the paint and some cheap sponge applicators. It seemed that most had had better results with a sponge applicator rather than a regular brush.
After I taped off the glass in the doors I began to sand. Using a fine grit, and working in small circles, I lightly sanded all the brass on the outside. Then I wiped it down with a clean damp cloth and finally wiped down again with acetone. This part took me about 30 minutes.

After a light sanding
The paint was very thin and watery and barely covered anything with the first coat. I began to think that this might not work. After a few hours the second coat went on. Now it was looking a little more promising. The next morning I applied the third coat and wow what a difference. I had read that I would probably need four coats so I was prepared to apply at least that many.

After first coat
The fourth coat was indeed the last coat needed. The old ugly brass was now a nice satin black. It needed just a few touch-ups after removing the painter's tape, but it was beautiful.

Hope this encourages you to try something new and wonderful.

4 comments:

  1. Superior post, keep up with this exceptional work. It's nice to know that this topic is being also covered on this web site so cheers for taking the time to discuss this! Thanks again and again! Best Fireplace Inserts

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the universe of blog composing, this blog really should be known as the best.
    best-fireplace-insert

    ReplyDelete

  3. Awesome story! Congrats on the successful team work!

    wood tools

    ReplyDelete
  4. "When you're tired, you want to relax after a stressful working hours, you need to have time to take care of the kids active.play exciting flash games. Thanks you for sharing! survivorsfortress
    "

    ReplyDelete