Want something simple that is also simply delicious for your upcoming holiday meal? I originally posted this recipe on November 2, 2012, but it's been a big hit in our family for many years before that and has become a holiday staple. The filling can be made the day before and refrigerated overnight, another reason I love it!
Hope you enjoy this oldie but goody!
There are only two things I have to say about this recipe.
- EVERYONE loves it!
- I am always asked for the recipe.
Here's what you need.
- 1 1/4 cups (1 can) Smoked Almonds. I use Smokehouse brand.
- 8 oz. Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 5 crisply cooked bacon slices, crumbled.
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Here's what you do.
- Fry bacon very slowly (low heat) so it will cook extra crispy.
- Drain bacon on a paper towel until it cools. It will then crumble very easily.
- Combine softened cream cheese, mayonnaise, crumbled bacon, finely chopped onion, dill weed, and pepper. Mix well.
- Cover and chill several hours or overnight.
- Form the mixture into two pinecone shapes on serving plate.
- Beginning at the narrow end, press almonds at a slight angle into cheese mixture in rows.
- Continue overlapping rows until all cheese is covered.
- Garnish with artificial or real (washed well) pine sprigs.
- Serve with crackers.
Makes 1 1/2 cups
Idea! Let older children put the almonds on while you're working on something else. A good way for them to help.