How can you go wrong with summer yellow squash, 2 types of cheese, and fresh herbs? I mean really...this is a no-brainer for sure.
So here we go....
Assemble your ingredients. BTW, notice the nice big bunch of fresh herbs here? Well, that was supposed to be parsley. I noticed too late that it was cilantro. Dang.
I somehow left the Sour Cream out of this picture. Don't leave it out of your casserole!
PARMESAN-CHEDDAR SQUASH CASSEROLE
- 4 pounds yellow squash, sliced (1 pound of squash yields about 2 cups sliced, so you’d need about 8 cups)
- 4 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 cups soft breadcrumbs, divided
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
Now for the best part!
BTW, did I mention how good the kitchen smelled while this was cooking?