Eating a healthy breakfast can be so hard. The secret for me is having something ready ahead of time. I need something I can just grab and eat. These breakfast / snack bars are sooo good and easy to make. The ingredient list is a bit long for me but they are simple to make, just one bowl and one pan. I adapted this recipe from this one at theleangreanbean.com.
You can change it a bit by using smashed bananas instead of applesauce, or using another dried fruit instead of raisins (Craisins would be great). And you can use different types of chopped nuts, I used sunflower kernels today. You can also substitute honey for the brown rice syrup but I find the syrup holds bars together better and I like the taste. You could also add coconut if you want and I chose not to use the chocolate. So, as you can see, there are lots of variations.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (or chickpea flour to make GF)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 cups oats
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- 2/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup organic brown rice syrup (or honey)
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup applesauce (or mashed banana)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375º and grease a 9 X 13 pan
- Mix cooked quinoa, applesauce, vanilla, eggs, peanut butter, red rice syrup.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown
- Cut into squares or bars and store in the refrigerator.