Later, as I looked at the recipe, I discovered someone had made a mistake. I don't know if it was missed in proof reading or what but the ingredients called for one egg, and then later it listed 3 eggs. It also had 1 teaspoon vanilla listed twice. The instructions said to mix the first eight ingredients together which included everything except the pie crust and chopped pecans. This was definitely a typo and my heart went out to Leigh Payne, the creator of the recipe. Imagine having your creation published and then to have the instructions added incorrectly.
|Original recipe, with obvious errors.|
Anyway, I think I figured out what Leigh intended and I forged on.
This is how I made this great pie and it turned out wonderful, even hubby loved it! Here's how you can make it too (complete ingredient list and instructions at the end of post).
Gather your ingredients.
|Everything but the pecans!! My bad...|
In a separate bowl mix the next 4 ingredients (brown sugar, 3 eggs, vanilla, and salt), make sure the eggs are thoroughly mixed in.
Stir the chopped pecans into the brown sugar mixture.
Spoon the cream cheese mixture into the unbaked pie crust and smooth to edges.
Pour the brown sugar mixture over the cream cheese mixture.
Put a few pecan halves on top for decoration.
Bake in preheated 350° oven for 50 - 55 minutes.
|It really puffed up in the oven but settled down as it cooled.|
I think this would be wonderful with fresh whipped topping or vanilla ice cream. ♥
Cream Cheese Mixture
- 8 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Brown Sugar Mixture
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- Pecan halves for top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Unroll pie crust into pie pan and set aside.
- With electric beaters, mix the first 4 ingredients together to make the Cram Cheese Mixture
- Mix the next 4 ingredients together to make the Brown Sugar Mixture and stir in chopped pecans.
- Spoon cream cheese mixture into prepared pie crust and then pour brown sugar mixture on top.
- Decorate with pecan halves if desired.
- Bake 50 - 55 minutes.
- Cool completely, cover and chill.