Repainting My Vintage Hamilton Beach Stand Mixer



My grandmother was a great cook. She made the best Chicken and Pastry and her Potato Rolls were to die for. She kept her trusty mixer on one of those cabinet shelves that lift up and out, so it would always be handy. Needless to say I was thrilled when my Mom asked me a few years ago if I wanted it!



I sent an email to Hamilton Beach telling them it was a Model E and series KM4924C hoping to find out how old it was. They were so sweet in writing back and told me that the model I had was last made in 1952. This was great information as I believed it was purchased in the late 40's.


I put the mixer on display in my kitchen but it wasn't very attractive. The original ivory paint was dull and lifeless and it had a few scratches and rough looking spots. I had thought about repainting it but was concerned that doing so would devalue it. So it just sat there.

Original manual and recipe book
Finally I decided to take a look and see if there were similar mixers for sale online and what they sold for. Not only did I find ones similar but I also found the same mixer for sale on several sites. I was a bit disappointed at the asking prices, much lower than I expected. But at least now I wasn't concerned about lowering its value by repainting it.

Juicer attachment pieces
My sweet husband offered to repaint it for me, and honestly I knew he would do a much better job so now all I had to do was pick a color. I decided on this blue spray paint from Valspar, its called Tropical Oasis #84225. It was just dark enough to make the color pop, especially against the white milk glass bowls.


He began by removing the handle, revolving platform, bowl control lever, and metal "Hamilton Beach" tag. Then he used painters tape to cover anything else he didn't want painted (like the cord).


Unfortunately he moved quicker than I did and I didn't get any pictures of the process. But since its a fairly straightforward procedure, I think it will be okay.


He used a fine grit sandpaper to gently smooth imperfections and to help the new paint adhere better. Them he began painting using short bursts of paint and being careful not to get too much in one spot (to avoid runs in the paint). After the first coat had dried completely he applied a second coat. I was amazed at how well it was turning out.


Next he repainted the black handle and revolving platform with glossy black spray paint. After all parts had been allowed to dry and cure for about 36 hours he reattached the parts and removed the painters tape.

The results were stunning! Now I can display my beautiful vintage mixer with pride.



No comments:

Post a Comment