Sweet Potato Casserole


I have no idea how long I have had this recipe but I can tell you I have made this A LOT! It was submitted to an old Farm Bureau News magazine by Ms. Janie L. Haislip. Below is a picture of the original recipe cut from the old magazine. On the back of the recipe there is an article about some Senate Bills awaiting the Governor's signature and ratified by the General Assembly on 8/28/1997. So that gives me some reference for dating it.

I apologize for the pictures or lack of good pictures. I made this batch for my hubby to take to work so it was made in one of those throw away metal pans instead of a pretty dish. Also, I was making it rather late at night and just didn't take a lot of pictures. Maybe I can add some pics later to show you how nice this looks. All I can tell you is how nice it tastes. Even guests that do not like sweet potatoes love this dish.

Personally I prefer this without the little marshmallows but it does look a lot more yummy with them on top.


Filling

  • 5 medium sweet potatoes, cooked & mashed
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 stick butter (sofened or melted)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla


Topping

  • 1 stick butter (melted)
  • 1 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • Mini marshmallows (optional)

Instructions

  • Mix all ingredients for the filling together and pour into a 13" X 9" pan. I like to use a hand mixer to get it really smooth. 
  • Mix together all ingredients for the topping except marshmallows. The original recipe said to "pour" this mixture on top of the filling but  it is way too thick to pour. I just drop small globs of it all over the top, covering as much as possible.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
  • Top with marshmallows if desired and cook about 5 more minutes.

Original recipe

Just started putting topping on the filling

Ready for the oven

Ready for marshmallows.



As always, I welcome your comments!




No comments:

Post a Comment