Pimento Cheese



Who knew homemade Pimento Cheese was this easy?  My husband loves Pimento Cheese but I'm always concerned about added preservatives and food coloring found in prepared foods so I decided to make my own.

I found several recipes but most were basically the same with just a few simple variations. For example some used white cheddar cheese while others used yellow and a few used some of each. Some also used a little cayenne or onion powder. 


I decided to start with a very basic recipe and then make changes or try other ingredients later. I found one on Damaris Phillips' Facebook page that was simple and decided to try that one. 

It turned out great and Hubby loved it!  So here's what I did....



Assemble your ingredients.



Grate your cheese. Don't look too close at my old grater please! It was either my Mom's or my Grandmother's and has served me well. :-)







Mix the mayonnaise and cream cheese. If the cream cheese is very soft you can mix quite well without the mixer. I used the back of the spoon to smash out any lumps.

Mix in the grated cheese, pimento, and salt and pepper. I like to mash the pimento a bit first so the pieces will be smaller. Store in the refrigerator in an air tight container for up to one week.




Need a printable version? Just click here.

Ingredients
  • 4 ounces cream cheese (softened)
  • 4 ounces diced pimento
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise (Duke’s is my favorite!)
  • 8 ounces sharp white Cheddar cheese
  • Salt & pepper to taste 

Instructions.

  • Place cream cheese and mayonnaise into a large mixing bowl and beat at medium speed until thoroughly combined. 
  • Add cheddar cheese. 
  • Mix till combined, then add pimentos (add them last so they don’t get too beat up). 
  • Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Makes about 2 cups.
Have a certain type of cheese you love? Feel free to substitute another type of cheese in for additional flavor. For example, substitute 2 ounces of blue cheese in for 2 ounces of the sharp white Cheddar cheese.
Feel like adding a little kick to your pimento cheese? Substitute another pepper or flavor in for the 2 ounces of pimentos. For example, try Asian chili garlic sauce, kimchi, banana peppers, ghost peppers and horseradish sauce.



Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container up to 1 week.