DIY Orange Peel & Vinegar Cleaner


If you follow my blog you know how much I dislike chemicals in my household cleaners (and other things). Not to say that I don't ever use any of these but I love finding an alternative that works.

One cleaning problem I have is grease. We love to cook bacon and eggs on weekend mornings and occasionally we fry other foods. The grease accumulates on my white cabinets which then, of course, attract dirt. I have had to use heavy duty degreasers to clean them in the past and decided I needed something better.

You want as many peels as possible while still allowing vinegar to circulate
I found several versions of this DIY orange peel and vinegar cleaner on the internet but there was little difference in them. The recipes seemed simple enough so I decided to give it a try. The citric acid in the orange peel is a natural degreaser (and it smells good) and vinegar is a great natural cleaner and disinfectant. Sounds good, right?

The process is simple, put orange peels in a jar, cover with white vinegar, and put in a dark cool place for at least two weeks before using. Now throw out the peels and add distilled water. How much water depends on how strong you need it to be. You can add a larger amount of water for everyday cleaning or less for more concentrated cleaning. I first used equal amounts cleaner and water to test the mixture. One cup cleaner and one cup water placed in a spray bottle, but for everyday cleaning one cup cleaner to two cups water should be fine.

Look at that beautiful orange color!

Important note: I did read that this was not safe
to use on stone including granite and marble.

The results were fantastic! Not only did it easily clean my cabinets but it made the kitchen smell great too. I am happy to report that I was more than pleased and plan on keeping this cleaner on hand.


You will need:

  • Distilled white vinegar
  • Citrus peels (lemon, orange, lime, grapefruit)
  • Distilled water

Directions:
  1. Place orange (or other citrus) peels in a container. I used a mason jar. Pack firm enough so vinegar can flow around peels but firm enough so you have enough citrus essence.
  2. Add enough white vinegar to cover peels.
  3. Cap tightly and place in a cool dark place for 2 weeks.
  4. Discard peels and dilute by adding two times the amount of distilled water in a spray bottle. Example 1 cup cleaner with 2 cups water. (Use less water for more concentrated cleaner.






No comments:

Post a Comment