I love the taste of sweet and salty, so I figured I would love this recipe. Don't be put off by using saltine crackers, it turns of really good, but I wouldn't try it with any other type of cracker. I've been seeing variations of this all over the internet so I'm not sure who to give credit to. They were all pretty much the same except I did see one that omitted the nuts. Some used milk chocolate and some used semi-sweet, some used pecans and some used walnuts. I did see a couple that used white sugar instead of brown but the comments weren't as good and brown sugar sounded better to me anyway.
A word about the chopped nuts. I prefer to get pecan halves and then chop my own. I guess its sort of like grated cheese, freshly grated is just better. And to me, freshly chopped pecans are just better.
So here is what I did. Get out all your ingredients
Line a cookie sheet with foil and coat with nonstick spray. BTW, this is what I call a cookie sheet but some refer to it as a jelly roll pan.
Cover the bottom of the pan with crackers (salty side down). How on earth did I forget to take pictures of the crackers in the pan? Well, I have no idea. Anyway, it took 38 crackers to completely cover the bottom in a single layer.
Stir melted butter and brown sugar together in a saucepan and boil for 3 minutes. (Watch it so it doesn't burn)
Pour the butter sugar mixture as evenly as possible over the crackers. If you work quickly you can spread it a little.
Pop into a preheated 400º oven for 5 minutes.
Quickly sprinkle with chocolate chips. They will start to melt almost immediately. Now spread the chocolate evenly over the top.
Sprinkle with the chopped nuts and gently press into the chocolate
Refrigerate till firm (or put in freezer)
Break into pieces and enjoy! Store in refrigerator or freezer.
- 1 sleeve saltine crackers plus 2 or 3 (I used 38 total)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) melted butter (do not use margarine)
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 12 oz bag chocolate chips (I like the semi-sweet)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped pecans. (or walnuts)
- Preheat oven to 400º F
- Line cookie sheet with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray
- Line crackers in a single layer in the pan covering the entire surface. Break a couple in half to complexly cover if you need to.
- Melt butter in a saucepan on low heat
- Add brown sugar and turn heat to medium. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes stirring often so it doesn't burn. (I suggest you use a timer.)
- Working quickly pour the butter sugar mixture over the crackers as evenly as you can. If your quick you can spread it out a little.
- Place the pan in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top and spread over all as they melt.
- Sprinkle the chopped nuts on top and gently press into the chocolate.
- Place in refrigerator or freezer until firm
- Break into pieces and enjoy!
Store in refrigerator or freezer.