Stewed Okra, Tomatoes, and Onions



This dish has been a favorite of mine for most of my life but I had not made it for years. My Mom actually asked for it recently and I wondered why it had been so long!


This is one of those southern dishes that is made without a recipe but I did notice how much I was using of everything this time so I could share with you.


First you need fresh whole okra. You could make this with frozen okra I guess, but to be honest I never have and so I don't know for sure how it would turn out.

I used ....

1 - 1 1/2 pounds fresh whole okra
1 14.5 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 Tablespoon bacon drippings.
Salt & pepper to taste
2 cups water

Okay, yes I keep bacon drippings, a nice way of saying bacon grease, in my refrigerator and use it often for seasoning vegetables. Sorry folks, that's not going to change for this southern girl. If you don't have any you can fry a few slices of bacon, drain, and use the drippings for this dish. Then save the bacon for a couple of BLT's! 

The directions are simple....cut the stem end off the okra and slice them up. Add them to a pot with the other ingredients and SLOW simmer about 1/2 hour. Don't boil these, just simmer.

That's it...not very complicated. 








Comments are welcome!





No comments:

Post a Comment