Do you eat a healthy breakfast? I do if I have something all ready prepared, something I just need to heat up or take out of the fridge and eat. If I have to mix, cook, whatever, well forget it, I'll just eat whatever I have. Could be a piece of cake if that's what's handy. Don't judge please. But, if I just plan ahead a little and have something healthy ready, that's what I'll eat. So I'm always on the lookout for easy, healthy breakfast recipes that I can make ahead of time and eat for the rest of the week.
This recipe from Pumps and Iron sounded perfect to me. Its made with oats (a favorite of mine) and quinoa (have some and have been trying to find more ways to use it). I also love the flavor of bananas and apples ♥. These little cups aren't like muffins, more granola / oatmeal with chucks of apple and banana in there. Getting hungry yet?
First I mashed enough bananas to make 1 cup
Add the wet ingredients including smashed banana
In separate bowl mix all the dry ingredients together (including cooked quinoa)
Slowly add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well
Peel, core, and chop one apple and add to mixture.
Fill greased muffin tins to the top.
Put a couple of slices of banana on top if you wish
Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes
Sooo good warm from the oven, very filling. Put whatever is left in the refrigerator in airtight container and warm a bit before eating.
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 3 bananas)
- 1 banana for slicing
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (about 1/2 cup dry)
- 2 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or regular milk)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a muffin tin (olive oil works well)
- Cook the quinoa using your package directions. Usually 1 cup water to 1/2 cup dry quinoa, bring to boil and then simmer about 12 minutes.
- Mix applesauce, mashed banana, almond milk, honey, and vanilla in a bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients (quinoa, oats, cinnamon) in a separate bowl. Slowly stir in the wet ingredients until well combined.
- Peel, core, and chop an apple. If you do this too far ahead of time the apple will start to discolor. Mix the apple chunks into the mixture.
- Fill each muffin cup to the top with the quinoa mixture. Add a banana slice or two to the top of each if you wish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes.
These are wonderful eaten warm from the oven. Refrigerate any uneaten ones in an airtight container. Microwave to reheat. Or crumble them in a bowl and eat like granola or oatmeal, just add milk!