Make Your Own Effective Solid Deodorant (Baking Soda Free)


Are you ready to try another DIY deodorant?  If your not making your own yet you may want to reconsider. There have been so many links shown between most commercial deodorants that contain aluminum and other harmful chemicals, and breast cancer and Alzheimer's. And yes, you can buy "natural" deodorants that may or may not work and cost a lot! Or you can just make your own.... I have begun preparing and reviewing some basic formulas. You may be interested in this Basic DIY Formula.




I know there are a few of you out there that have a problem with the baking soda deodorant formulas. Baking Soda is very alkaline and can be irritating for some people. This formula is from
 Crunchy Betty and is baking soda and cornstarch free. 

It's also more solid than my previous deodorant formula and may be more effective in controlling sweat with the addition of bentonite clay. This clay adds dryness protection, absorbs sweat, and draws out toxins. There are many different colors of bentonite clay depending on the chemical composition of the soil it came from. I recommend you not use a prominent color, like red, as it may stain clothing. Learn more about Bentonite clay in my Rose Water and Bentonite Clay Mask post.

I chose lavender, lemon, and frankincense for my essential oils. These will kill bacteria, the main source of odor. Frankincense is also known for its anti-cancer properties.

You will need some sort of container to store your new deodorant in. A new or used (clean) stick deodorant container will work fine or you can use a cupcake liner placed inside a muffin baking cup.
I used these little tubes from Spark Naturals.
I find they are perfect for giving away or travel.
Click on the picture to order. You can use code ENJOY for 10% discount.
So this is what I did


Assemble my ingredients.

Melt beeswax and coconut oil over very low heat. Add the shea butter.


Mix in the clay. The mixture will start to darken a little.


When the mixture just starts to thicken add the essential oils and mix thoroughly.

This recipe will make about 1 regular 2 oz tube or 6 mini .35 oz tubes of deodorant.





Ingredients

Directions
  1. Melt the beeswax and coconut oil on very low heat. Use a non-metal utensil to mix.
  2. When melted, add the shea butter and mix well, remove from heat and let it continue to melt.
  3. Once you have all liquid you can begin adding the clay continuing to mix as you go.
  4. Let cool until it starts to thicken and add the essential oils Mix well.
  5. Pour or spoon into your containers and let cool completely. You may put in the refrigerator if you want to hurry this along. You want it to get completely hard.
  6. If the mixture starts to get too soft on a hot day you can return to the freezer.

Now for my review! I liked this deodorant a lot, I stayed dry and odor was kept under control. However, I think I like the ones with baking soda a little better. For me I think the odor control lasted a bit longer but I do think this is a great alternative for those looking for a baking soda free formula.


Hope you enjoy making this yourself! As always, I love hearing your comments.

2.5 oz Deodorant Tube
Use code ENJOY for 10% discount



You may be interested in these other deodorant formulas.

Basic DIY Deodorant with Personal Review

Stay Fresh Natural Deodorant with Personal Review


AFFILIATE DISCLAIMER

As an affiliate with Spark Naturals I am able to offer you a 10% discount by using my code ENJOY on your entire order (does not apply to Oil of the Month) and I will receive a small compensation.

This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

MEDICAL DISCLAIMER
I am not a doctor and the statements on this blog have not been evaluated by the FDA. Any products mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please consult your doctor or health care practitioner before using herbs, essential oils or other natural remedies.




No comments:

Post a Comment