Basic DIY Deodorant with Personal Review

Like many others I have started to rethink using most commercial deodorants. Here's the dilemma, I can have an offensive odor and sweat like crazy or take a chance with aluminum and other dangerous additives that have been linked to breast cancer and Alzheimer's. Or I can find a safer deodorant that works.



You can find some commercial deodorants without the harmful additives, but to be honest, they just don't seem to work well and they are very pricey. So I decided to make a few myself and post my thoughts here on their effectiveness.I have been looking at several recipes from a few trusted sites and chose several to try. I noticed that most DIY deodorants used basically the same ingredients. I wanted to know why so I did a little research.

Baking Soda (sodium bicarbonate) do not confuse with Baking Powder, helps to neutralize odor and adds an antiperspirant effect. We see commercials all the time about the odor absorbing properties of baking soda in cat litters, carpet fresheners, and other household products.

But, there is one drawback with baking soda. It is not pH friendly. In fact it is very alkaline and may cause skin irritation in a few people. Some people find that the itchiness or irritation goes away in a few days. If you do have this problem, and it doesn't go away, don't give up!  see this solution from Crunchy Betty, or use a baking soda free recipe.

Coconut Oil  kills fungi, yeast and bacteria. Plus natural coconut oil softens the skin and is used to combat many skin issues. Coconut oil liquefies at 76° so you may want to refrigerate during hot summer months. (Talk to your allergist if you have a tree nut allergy.)

Shea Butter softens and may help with razor bumps

Arrowroot Powder helps to absorb moisture

Bentonite Clay adds dryness protection, absorbs sweat, and draws out toxins. If sweat is a big concern you may may want to add this but don't expect it to work as well as the Aluminum used in commercial products, which you definitely want to avoid. Only use the grey or cream colored (not white) clay as the red may stain clothing.

Essential Oils kill bacteria, the main source of odor. They each have many other healthy properties and some will add a nice natural scent. I recommend Melaleuca (Tee Tree), Frankincense, Geranium, or Lemon. Sandalwood has a nice earthy scent and would be nice in a men's deodorant.

I buy my essential oils from Spark Naturals. They have the highest quality products at affordable prices. You can receive a 10% discount from them by using discount code ENJOY at checkout! ♥♥

Beeswax Pastilles Makes the mixture more solid, may want to add if you want more of a "stick" deodorant.

Containers. You need to think about what you want to put your new deodorant in. If it is a more solid type you may want to use a clean deodorant tube or cupcake liners. If liquid you will need a roll on bottle or spritzer.



My first formula was from WellnessMama. This is a very basic formula and is very easy to make. I poured mine into cupcake liners but it may be solid enough to put in a clean deodorant tube. I found I had to keep it refrigerated as it began to melt at room temperature. Coconut oil liquefies at 76° so since I'm making this in mid August, and its very hot, well...maybe when the weather cools a bit I can take it out and keep it in the bathroom. Another option is to pour it into a clean small glass jar and just use your fingers to rub a little bit into your armpits. This way you could keep in the bathroom no matter what the temperature is. (Update note: the weather has been just a bit cooler and I am no longer having this problem. But I am still storing it in a small glass jar just in case.)

So here is what I did...first I assembled my ingredients.
Add caption
I chose to use Geranium, Melaleuca (Tee Tree), and Frankincense Essential Oils
Pour the mixture into cupcake liners in cupcake pans


When hardened just peel off the liner and use. You could also put into clean deodorant tube when almost hardened. (Make sure you store in a leak proof bag or container just in case it liquefies or keep in the refrigerator.)

So here is the recipe and instructions. Let me know how it works for you!
Ingredients
  • 3 Tablespoons Baking Soda
  • 3 Tablespoons Organic Coconut Oil
  • 2 Tablespoons Shea Butter
  • 2 Tablespoons Arrowroot Powder
  • Essential Oils (I recommend about 8 drops, see my recommendations above)

Directions
  1. Melt shea butter and coconut oil in a glass mason jar with a lid and place this in a small saucepan of water until melted. You can then designate this jar for these type of projects and not even need to wash it out. Another option is to use a double boiler.
  2. Remove from heat and add baking soda and arrowroot (If you don’t have arrowroot, use more baking soda)
  3. Mix well
  4. Add essential oils and pour into a glass container for storage. It does not need to be stored in the fridge. (Personal note: If you choose to use in a more solid form I recommend refrigeration and as I posted, I used cupcake liners for easier handling.)
  5. If you prefer, you can let it cool completely and put into an old deodorant stick for easier use, though it may melt in the summer.
Results: Ahhh, the most important part, right? I found the texture to be a tiny bit grainy but didn't really mind it. I think I would prefer a deodorant that stays firm in hot weather so I may like one with beeswax. But overall I found it controlled odor very well and am quite satisfied with it. It actually works better than the $14.00 "natural" deodorant I purchased on-line. ♥

Update: Within just a few days the weather was not as oppressively hot and this formula began to hold its shape even out of the refrigerator. So I am happy to now report that I am keeping it in the bathroom which is more convenient, but I still put it in a leak proof container just to be safe. ;-)

I will be posting more DIY deodorants for you to try soon! 


Update: Other formulas for you to try!

Make Your Own Effective Solid Deodorant (Baking Soda Free)

Stay Fresh Natural Deodorant with Personal Review



AFFILIATE DISCLAIMER
As an affiliate with Spark Naturals I am able to offer you a 10% discount by using my code ENJOY on your entire order (does not apply to Oil of the Month) and I will receive a small compensation.

This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

MEDICAL DISCLAIMER
I am not a doctor and the statements on this blog have not been evaluated by the FDA. Any products mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please consult your doctor or health care practitioner before using herbs, essential oils or other natural remedies.












2 comments:


  1. Browse More: Weight-Loss Diet plan Recipes How to Food Prep Your Week of Foods:
    Carve out time in the begging of the week to obtain meal prep taken care of and save time through the busy week.. Help to make the Ravioli and also Vegetable Soup ahead of time to have for lunch on Days 1 & 2.Mix up the Carrot-Ginger Vinaigrette and the Avocado-Yogurt Dip .Bake the Maple-Nut Granola or opt for a healthy store-bought granola to save time. Choose a granola which has around 130 calorie consumption or less and significantly less than 6 grams of glucose per 1/4 cup.Hard boil 2 eggs for Days 4 and also 5.Produce a batch of Easy Brown Rice to use on Days 1, 2 & 5.
    http://www.cureidea.com/

    ReplyDelete