Cream Cheese Pound Cake




Pound Cake....sweet, moist, dense. Couple that with cream cheese? Oh my.....

According to http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Cakes/PoundCake.htm ...."The name (Pound Cake) comes from the fact that the original pound cakes contained one pound each of butter, sugar, eggs, and flour. No leaveners were used other than the air whipped into the batter."  Today we make a smaller cake but the name Pound Cake has stayed with it.

Seems to me that pound cakes are traditionally baked in loaf pans. The one I made today was made in a bundt pan because I thinks its prettier.

Be careful measuring the flour. If your an experienced cook you already know this but just in case you don't here's the "scoop" on measuring flour. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Flour should always be sifted. Even if the bag says presifted, sift the flour again anyway as it will settle during storage. If a recipe says to use "3 cups sifted flour" you sift first then measure. If a recipe says to use "3 cups flour" you gently spoon flour in measuring cup (do not shake or pat down), even off top with a flat edge like the back of a knife blade, and then sift. Once you have used a recipe a few times you sort of know if it looks right. If it looks too thin or too thick and you can adjust. But if your not experienced or using a recipe for the first time it can be tricky.

Here is the recipe from Elizabeths Edible Experience. Please leave your own comments, I love to know if you made this and if so if you changed it up in any way!

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups butter, softened at room temp
  • 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened at room temp
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 6 large eggs
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Instructions:

Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy (do not over beat)


I don't have a fancy dancy KitchenAid Mixer in a pretty color (yet) but my old Rival hand mixer, that I have had and USED since 1966, worked just fine. Well, I do have a very old KitchenAid Mixer. From the late 40's I think, and it still works. I also have the original white glass bowls and lots of attachments. I'll have to show you some pictures of it sometime.



Now add your sugar, beating as you go.

Then add the eggs, one at a time. Breaking them into a separate dish first will prevent egg shells getting into your cake.


Next mix the flour with the salt and add gradually, mixing a you go.


Yes, I know. My sifter is really old too. What can I say, I like my old stuff.

Now add the vanilla and mix in.

Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-inch Bundt pan. Smooth out the top with a spatula.



Bake at 300° for 1 hour and 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 to 15 minutes; remove from pan, and let cool completely on wire rack.




My cake tester, yeah its really old too. lol


Now for the good part! Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment