Kayaking

I was going to bake a cake today but I didn't. I had to go for my regular mammogram this morning and was thinking of postphoning it because I really wanted to go to the beach. But I decided to go ahead and get it done and then I got a call from my eldest son and his wife asking me to go kayaking with them. Once the mammogram was done they picked me up and went out for lunch and then we took to the water.



Let's see....bake or go kayaking. No-brainer really, right?

We went to an area called Taylor's Creek. Its not really a creek, its a small bit of salt water that runs between Carrot Island and the mainland. There are lots of sailboats moored there. Some have come some distance, some are there year round. There are some who live on their boats only staying ashore occasionally when there are hurricane threats or other bad storm warnings.


Aeriel view of Taylor's Creek

Here on the east coast of North Carolina we have a line of barrier islands that not only shelter us, they provide waterways for endless recreation opportunities.



Wild horses have existed on many of these barrier islands for hundreds of years. In the 16th century, their ancestors came from Spain via Hispaniola (located between Cuba and Puerto Rico) to live on these islands off the coast that make up the Outer Banks. Here a stallion and mare have come out to graze.


A kayak and a paddle board. Taking a rest and enjoying the view.



Learn more about these fascinating horses here http://www.shacklefordhorses.org/



I like to paddle board too! 



 So anyway, if I don't get sidetracked again, you will see my post here tomorrow on my delicious Cream Cheese Pound Cake! You don't want to miss it.




No comments:

Post a Comment