Stay Fresh Natural Deodorant with Personal Review


I am so happy that so many of you are enjoying my DIY deodorants. For one thing it proves to me that people are taking a serious look at the ingredients in most commercial deodorants. Almost all commercial deodorant / antiperspirants contain ingredients that have possible links to breast cancer and Alzheimer's. There are a few out there that are aluminium free (one of the harmful ingredients) but they tend to be very expensive and many don't work very well. So we have a choice here...smell bad or make something ourselves that works.  This recipe is easy to make and, like the other formulas I have posted, they actually work! (See my reviews on each)


This formula is very similar to my basic deodorant but has a bit more shea butter and beeswax added to make it more solid.


Here is some information on the ingredients I used:

Baking Soda (sodium bicarbonate) do not confuse with Baking Powder, helps to neutralize odor and adds an antiperspirant effect. You can use any brand but I prefer Bob's Red Mill.

If you are concerned about aluminum in your baking soda well here's a news flash...baking soda doesn't have any aluminum in it. Even good ol Arm & Hammer, which doesn't state "aluminum free" on the label, has no aluminum in it. Here's a quote from The Prairie Homestead
"I even called the Arm and Hammer (the “famous” baking soda company) to double check, and they stated very definitively that their baking soda is 100% sodium bicarbonate and contains zero aluminum."
Baking Powder however is a different story. I choose Bob's Red Mill (and there are other good brands too) over Arm & Hammer because of the way it is mined and processed, without chemical reactions, nothing added, just pure sodium bicarbonate. Crunch Betty has a very good post on this here...

In fact you will notice that when I made this today I used Arm & Hammer as I was out of Bob's Red Mill. (Have some on order though!)

Coconut Oil kills fungi, yeast and bacteria. Plus natural coconut oil softens the skin and is used to combat many skin issues. Coconut oil liquefies at 76°, and will begin to soften at an even lower temperature, so you may want to refrigerate during hot summer months. (Talk to your allergist if you have a tree nut allergy.)

Beeswax makes the mixture more solid, needs to be added if you want more of a "stick" deodorant.

Shea Butter softens and may help with razor bumps

Arrowroot Powder helps to absorb moisture

Essential Oils kill bacteria, the main source of odor. They each have many other healthy properties and some will add a nice natural scent. I recommend Melaleuca (Tee Tree), FrankincenseGeranium, Lavender, or LemonSandalwood has a nice earthy scent and would be nice in a men's deodorant. I am using Melaleuca, Frankincense, and Lemon today.

Since I am an affiliate with Spark Naturals I can offer you a 10% discount code to use if you order any essential oils or supplies from them. In return I will receive a small compensation. To get your discount use code ENJOY at checkout ♥

So here's how I made my newest deodorant formula, hope you enjoy it.


Assemble the ingredients.


These are the essential oils I used. I only use quality essential oils.


Put beeswax and coconut oil in top of double boiler or in a small saucepan on low heat to melt.


Turn off the heat and add shea butter, allow to melt mixing well.


Add arrowroot powder and baking powder and mix well.


Add essential oils, warm just a little if the mixture starts to get too solid.


Pour or spoon into tubes and allow to harden.


I put mine into little mini tubes for sharing.


I make labels using Avery's design tools.

Ingredients:

Instructions:
  1. Melt coconut oil and beeswax together over low heat using a double boiler or a small saucepan.
  2. Turn off heat and mix well
  3. Add the Shea butter and mix until it is melted
  4. Add arrowroot powder and baking soda, mix in well.
  5. Let cool until mixture just starts to re-thicken and add essential oils. You want to try to avoid harming the oil with high heat.
  6. Pour or spoon into deodorant containers and let cool to harden.
This will fill about 2 regular deodorant tubes.


Personal Review:  I think I like this deodorant the best so far. It does a great job controlling odor while keeping me dry.

You may enjoy reading these DIY deodorant formulas.

Basic DIY Deodorant with Personal Review

Make Your Own Effective Solid Deodorant (Baking Soda Free)



2.5 oz Deodorant Tube
Use code ENJOY for 10% discount


AFFILIATE DISCLAIMER

As an affiliate with Spark Naturals I am able to offer you a 10% discount by using my code ENJOY on your entire order (does not apply to Oil of the Month) and I will receive a small compensation.

This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

MEDICAL DISCLAIMER
I am not a doctor and the statements on this blog have not been evaluated by the FDA. Any products mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please consult your doctor or health care practitioner before using herbs, essential oils or other natural remedies.









No comments:

Post a Comment