Lemon, Sage, and Cedar Deodorant Spray



I am simply falling in love with my homemade deodorants and I love sharing them with others. I have given away a lot of samples to people and so far I am getting great reviews.  Many have asked if they could buy them from me, maybe I'll have to think about making some to sell, or maybe not. lol

I was doing some weeding a couple of days ago and it was hot! When I was done I was dirty and sweaty but guess what? There was absolutely no underarm odor...none! That day I had used my basic formula and have found that one to be my favorite non-spray so far.


I hadn't tried any spray deodorants and was curious to see if I could find one that worked. I found a couple of recipes that were totally different and decided to give them a try.

The first formula is from from Stephanie L. Tourles' book, "Hands On Healing Remedies", which I purchased from Spark Naturals. (You can see it here....) This wonderful book has 150 recipes for healing topical therapies.

It has what I thought was a most unusual base...vodka! Yes, I said vodka, turns out its wonderful for formulas like this. Vodka is fragrance-free, antiseptic and is wonderful when making herbal, alcohol based liniments and deodorants. Once applied the alcohol evaporates quickly and leaves behind the herb's or essential oil's medicinal properties. You will want to purchase 80 to 100 proof but any brand is fine. An inexpensive one will work just as well as a pricey one.

This formula also contains the following...

Atlas cedar or Cedarwood essential oils have a woody-fruity scent. Both have a deodorizing effect as well as lymph and circulatory benefits.

Lemon essential oil has a clean sharp aroma. It has a gentle astringency and helps circulation and stimulating properties. It is also antiseptic.

Clary Sage essential oil has a warm spicy aroma and has astringent and deodorizing properties.

Just a note here that as an associate for Spark Naturals I can offer you a 10% discount on your essential oils and accessories order. Just use code ENJOY to receive your savings and I will receive a small compensation.

Vegetable Glycerine is clear and slippery. It acts as a humectant, drawing moisture from the air to the skin, but also pulling moisture from within the skin toward its surface. This property will help combat the skin-drying effect of the alcohol.

I cut the recipe to 1/3 of the original. It almost filled a 4 oz. spray bottle (the lemon rinds take up some room). I have listed the ingredients for both large and smaller batches at the end of this post to make it easier for you to choose how much you want to make.

You will need a glass or plastic storage container or spritzer bottle.

Get your ingredients together.

Put vodka in your clean bottle, add essential oils, glycerin, and lemon peel.
Add a cute label, I use Avery.com to make and print mine
Here is the original recipe

  • 1 cup unflavored vodka
  • 15 drops Atlas cedar or Cedarwood essential oil
  • 15 drops lemon essential oil
  • 15 drops sage essential oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon vegetable glycerin
  • Rind of 1 lemon, cut into long, thin strips

Here it is after I reduced it.

  • 1/3 cup unflavored vodka
  • 5 drops Atlas cedar or Cedarwood essential oil
  • 5 drops lemon essential oil
  • 5 drops sage essential oil
  • 1/8 teaspoon vegetable glycerin
  • Rind of 1/3 lemon, cut into long, thin strips

Complete Instructions:

  1. Pour vodka into clean storage container or spritzer bottle.
  2. Add the essential oils, glycerin, and lemon rind.
  3. Shake vigorously to blend.
  4. You may leave the citrus rind in the bottle for up to 1 month, then remove.
  5. Label and store in a dark cabinet.


Application Instructions:

  1. Shake well before each use.
  2. Spray onto clean, dry underarms and feet or apply with a cotton pad and rub in.
  3. Allow to dry before getting dressed.


My review: I found this worked well but took a bit of co-ordination effort getting the spray where I wanted it. Do not recommend right after shaving as I think it may be irritating.

You may enjoy reading these DIY deodorant formulas.

Basic DIY Deodorant with Personal Review

Make Your Own Effective Solid Deodorant (Baking Soda Free)


Stay Fresh Natural Deodorant with Personal Review



AFFILIATE DISCLAIMER
As an affiliate with Spark Naturals I am able to offer you a 10% discount by using my code ENJOY on your entire order (does not apply to Oil of the Month) and I will receive a small compensation.

This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

MEDICAL DISCLAIMER
I am not a doctor and the statements on this blog have not been evaluated by the FDA. Any products mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please consult your doctor or health care practitioner before using herbs, essential oils or other natural remedies.





No comments:

Post a Comment