Doggy Deodorizing Powder ~ Fresh & Flea Free!

Our dog Barclay, happily claiming his spot on the sofa.

I love my dogs...I really do, but sometimes our senior beagle Barclay just stinks. Now don't get me wrong, its not the overpowering offensive "get out of the house now" sort of stench, but its enough that you may not want to sit next to him on the sofa. Since he is older and has some stiff joints and various aches and pains, baths can be a little hard on him. So I try to limit baths and just needed something for the stinkified in-between bath days.

Barclay is also allergic to fleas. When he gets a flea bite he gets itchy all over and ear infections flair up so keeping fleas away is a real necessity. And that's not easy where I live. Fleas are plentiful in my area, as well as ticks, chiggers, and all sorts of other biting insects. But the trade off is great with our mild year round weather and being almost surrounded by salt water. I love it here! ♥ But, back to the subject...


When I saw this simple recipe on CampWander I knew I had to give it a try. It contains Lavender and Geranium EOs, both of which repel fleas. Also, when used together the two essential oils produce an aromatherapy effect that will soothe and calm (human or dog!). Let me just say this stuff smells amazing and did a fantastic job of neutralizing Barclay's offensive smell.  According to Rebecca at CampWander, the essential oils actually change the molecular structure of the odor, purifying it. All together it sounded like a winner to me.

I do urge you to use high quality ingredients. I purchase my essential oils from Spark Naturals. I love the quality of their products and their helpful customer service. If you decide to place an order with them you can save 10% by using discount code ENJOY. ♥♥


You'll need something with a shaker type lid to put your deodorizing powder in. I used a lid from a Parmesan cheese container and screwed it onto a small canning jar. Worked great.


Ingredients:
1 cup Arrowroot Powder
5 drops Lavender Essential Oil
2 drops Geranium Essential Oil

Mix all in a small food processor or blender
Pulse a few times till well blended
Spread on a cookie sheet to dry for a few hours before using

I just made half this recipe and still had plenty for several "treatments".


Hope you enjoy this post, please let me know if you make it! I would love to hear from you.







No comments:

Post a Comment