Homemade Antiviral Cough Drops


Have you made your own cough drops yet? Yet another very simple way to move away from chemicals and harmful additives in many commercial products. This formula is quite simple, containing only honey and essential oils. You may want to adjust the Essential Oils to your taste, you can make them stronger or weaker, your choice. Each of the individual essential oils has its own marvelous properties so this formula is not only soothing but I believe it is healing as well.


I do caution you to only use pure therapeutic grade essential oils that are safe to ingest, some lesser quality oils may be toxic if ingested. I get mine from Spark Naturals and can offer you a 10% discount by using my code "Enjoy" at checkout.

Also, just a reminder to keep these out of the reach of children who may mistake them for candy.

One of the ingredients in this formula is "Shield" Essential Oil Blend from Spark Naturals. It is an antibiotic and antiviral blend of Clove, Cinnamon Bark, Lemon, Eucalyptus, and Rosemary. One of my pleasures is working with essential oils. I love their natural and beneficial health properties and enjoy making beauty and health products that are safer than many commercial ones for myself and loved ones. This is one of those little things that make me happy.


You won't need many ingredients

-

Begin to heat honey on med-low heat and reduce to low until candy thermometer reaches 300 degrees. This is actually boiling at too high a heat and I almost scorched it! Turn the heat down a bit and be patient...don't be like me! lol  Once it has cooled a bit you can add your essential oils.


It took a bit of practice to get my dropping technique down pat, as you can see.


Wrap each piece in parchment paper to prevent sticking.


Now you are more prepared for cold & flue season.


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup organic raw honey
  • 5 drops Shield Essential Oil Blend (Like Thieves)
  • 3 drops Lemon Essential Oil
  • 1 drop Eucalyptus Essential Oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon butter or coconut oil (optional)
Note: this recipe is very easy to double but I always like beginning with smaller batches until I tweak them to my liking.

You will also need:
  • Small saucepan
  • Candy thermometer
  • Parchment paper (or mini candy molds)

Instructions:
  1. Heat honey on med-low heat to 300 degrees (you can add 1/2 teaspoon of butter or coconut oil to control foaming if you wish)
  2. Let cool until it starts to thicken
  3. Add essential oils and stir
  4. Drop small amounts on parchment paper (not wax paper) or put into candy molds
  5. When completely cool wrap each piece in parchment paper 

You may also want to try substituting Maple Syrup for the honey in this recipe.

I always welcome your comments and/or questions. ♥




AFFILIATE DISCLAIMER
As an affiliate with Spark Naturals I am able to offer you a 10% discount by using my code ENJOY on your entire order (does not apply to Oil of the Month) and I will receive a small compensation.

This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

MEDICAL DISCLAIMER
I am not a doctor and the statements on this blog have not been evaluated by the FDA. Any products mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please consult your doctor or health care practitioner before using herbs, essential oils or other natural remedies.








1 comment:

  1. Nice Post. Thanks for sharing. Order vicks cough drops from medplusmart and get delivered to your door step

    ReplyDelete