Comforting Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup


It's a cold rainy day here in eastern North Carolina and Hubby and I are enjoying a nice cuddly day inside. It's one of those days where it just seems fitting to have something comforting simmering on the stove. Today I decided that something was Vegetable Beef Soup. Wholesome, soothing, hot, delicious soup...what could be better on a day like this?

This is a very simple and basic recipe. In fact, I have never made this using a recipe but today I made sure I measured everything so I can tell you just how I made it. I used ground beef but you could also use a nice ham bone (with a little ham still attached), or no meat at all if you wish. I have made it many times with just the veggies and served with hot grilled cheese sandwiches. Delish!


All you do is brown ground beef and chopped onion. If the meat is not very lean you will need to drain off the excess grease.


Add the remainder of the ingredients. A note about the tomatoes...I don't like to use the canned tomatoes that are already chopped up. I really like the look and texture of the whole tomatoes that I chop up myself. I just dump the whole can in and use the side of the spoon to cut them into hunks.


Bring all just to a boil and then put on a low simmer for 1 hour.


Even though this soup is simple and easy, it is very satisfying. The rice adds body and makes it more filling. We love it!


Ingredients

  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 14.5 ounce cans Whole Peeled Tomatoes, with the liquid and roughly chopped
  • 4 cans water (58 ounces)
  • 2 pound bag of frozen mixed vegetables. You want the kind with peas, carrots, string beans, and corn.
  • 1/3 cup rice (not the quick cooking or instant type)
  • 3 teaspoons salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon pepper

Brown group beef with onion and drain any excess grease.
Add remaining ingredients and simmer for one hour.








No comments:

Post a Comment