"Woman Hands" by africa
Anyway...I saw this "no grate" version on One Good Thing and decided to give it a go. It was super easy to make and more important, did a good job getting the laundry clean. It's made with just three ingredients, Borax, Washing Soda, and Dawn Dishwashing Liquid. As I understand, you can use pretty much any dishwashing liquid but the original Dawn does a better job on oil and grease. BTW, Borax and Washing Soda can be found on the laundry detergent isle in your grocery store. (Don't get the Washing Soda mixed up with Baking Soda.)
|It may look thin but its super concentrated.|
- Add 3-5 drops directly to the rinse cycle
- Add 1 Tablespoon to the wash cycle (in an organic unscented laundry detergent)
- Add directly to the bottle of detergent (you'll have to figure out how much)
- Note: you should only need half these amounts for an HE machine as they use less water
Anyway, I just add directly to the wash as that just seems to work best for me. In flu season I can add Shield Blend, for my sheets or towels I add lavender, for the doggy items I like lemon.Other oils to consider would be Eucalyptus, Wild Orange, Respire Blend, Bergamot, Zen, White Fir, or Ylang Ylang. BTW, for the best results use a high quality essential oil. I get mine from Spark Naturals. You can get a 10% discount on your order with them by using code ENJOY. ♥
You'll also need a container that is about 11 cups or 90 ounces. I just used an empty detergent bottle.
You will need:
- 1/2 cup Borax
- 1/2 cup Washing Soda
- 1/2 cup Dawn Dishwashing Liquid
- 4 cups hot water
- Add the Borax, Washing Soda, and Dishwashing Liquid to the hot water and stir till dissolved.
- Pour into your container.
- Finish filling container with cold water.
- You will only need about 1/4 cup for a large load of laundry or 2 Tablespoons for HE machines.
- Give the bottle a good shake before using as some ingredients will settle
This formula, not including the essential oils, cost me $1.15 per bottle.