Nourishing Homemade Cuticle and Nail Oil


When I was working I was fairly diligent about keeping my nails done. But now, not so much. Since I'm home almost every day I'm spending a lot more time working outside, painting (not the artsy kind, the paint the walls kind), crafts, and cooking. So having my nails done is just not a priority anymore. Well, today I purchased the new Sally Hansen Miracle Gel that doesn't require a light. I love acrylic nail polish but have never done them myself at home. I can't wait to try it and will let you know how I like it. 


But, before delving into trying to give myself a manicure I wanted to address one issue that had been a problem. My cuticles and frequent hangnails. I knew that even the best nail painting job wouldn't look good if I didn't address my cuticles. I do keep them pushed back, so that was a plus, but because they get dry I was getting hangnails. Not lovely. It makes sense that I would need cuticle oil or something, after all my hands are working harder, and dirtier, than before. I quit using gloves when washing dishes or other cleaning since I no longer needed to worry about ruining a professional manicure. So its no wonder I have dry cuticles and thus hangnails.

I knew I didn't want to buy a commercial cuticle oil. To start with they are expensive, and I wanted to avoid synthetic ingredients, parabens, chemicals, and other additives. I knew my essential oils would be great for my nails so I set out to make my own cuticle oil.
Before picture, sorry its blurry but you can see my problem.
When thinking of how to apply, I recommend using a dropper bottle instead of a brush so you won't be transferring bacteria from your nails back into the bottle each time you use it.

Here is some info on the ingredients I used.

Sweet Almond Oil is rich in essential fatty acids and wonderful for dry skin. It is also high in Vitamin E, which helps protect the beneficial fatty acids and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It will also help heal cuts and cracks in the skin.

Hemp Seed Oil has a perfect ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 essential fatty acids that so closely matches our skin lipids it can actually penetrate the cells and lubricate the surface between them. So it not only prevents moisture loss, but has has anti-aging qualities and helps regenerate the skin's protective layer. It is also 80% total essential fatty acids (higher than any other plant on earth). For this reason you may often see it referred to as the world's most perfect oil. Not only is it highly beneficial for hair and nails but is well known for its skin care benefits. It contains both vitamin E (which is well known for its skin care benefits) and vitamin D, not present in other plants.

Frankincense Essential Oil is Cytophylactic, it promotes the regeneration of healthy cells and keeps existing cells and tissues healthy. It is often used to strengthen nails and improve nail health.

Myrrh Essential Oil is known to help tone and rejuvenate skin cells and many believe it is the best essential oil for nails.

Lemon Essential Oil has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties and is known to strengthen and boost circulation and blood flow to the nails. This in turn promotes strong growth and healthy cuticles and nail beds. Lemon has also been used to restore the nails natural color and lift yellow discoloration.


Just mix the following in a dark colored 15 ml bottle, an empty essential oil bottle works great. Use a dropper top to make application easier if you like.

2 teaspoons Sweet Almond Oil
1 teaspoon Hemp Seed Oil
5 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
5 drops Myrrh Essential Oil
5 drops Lemon Essential Oil
2 drops Vitamin E Oil (optional)

Massage into the nail bed and cuticles at least twice a week.

I do recommend a high quality essential oil like the ones from Spark Naturals. You can get a 10% discount by using code ENJOY at checkout!

I always love to hear from and appreciate your comments! ♥






No comments:

Post a Comment